Like any industry, the quality of companies in the garage door business can vary. If you have had a bad experience with one firm, or if someone you know has, you may be wary of all garage door companies. There are skilled and dedicated garage door companies who will handle your project professionally. How can you avoid those that are not serious and find a true garage door pro?
The following indicators can help you weed out incompetent amateurs and choose a quality garage door installer and service provider who will earn your trust instead of tricking you into hiring them.
How do poor garage door companies trick you?
Low-quality companies often operate in crowded urban or suburban areas. They know that people will often not be able to tell the difference between companies, and may choose based only on price. Like many service industries, garage door companies do not usually have national name recognition. Poor quality providers take advantage of this.
People will often choose subpar companies because they advertise everywhere: online, in print, in mailers, and in phone directories. They may even do business under different names, without a central office, and using many telephone numbers. They may claim to cover many cities, but they actually only subcontract out the work to technicians that they have never met.
The advertisements often have the same type of language. They will promise “fast emergency service,” claim they are “Number 1” in everything and show pictures of modern trucks and equipment that does not actually correspond to the type of equipment that they actually have.
Ultimately, they are trying to wow you.
Be suspicious about the following claims:
- 24-hour service. The company may provide emergency service, but they will not tell you that these repairs come at an extra cost. A good company will let you know the rate before they come.
- Some companies may show their lack of experience if they have to leave in the middle of the job. This usually means that they do not have the correct parts on their truck.
- If they offer discounts that sound “too good to be true,” they are often trying to get you to hire them without thinking about their lack of expertise.
- You should be suspicious if the truck that comes to do the work does not have the company name or logo on it. This usually means the worker is a subcontractor.
- All reputable companies will have a fixed address, not just a phone number. You should be able to find the company’s address easily.
- They try to convince you that you need a new door instead of offering several different repair options.
How to investigate a garage door company
- Ask the company for examples of people in the area who have worked with the them before. You can even contact these people to ask them about their experiences.
- Ask co-workers, friends and family members about their experiences working with garage door companies.
- If possible, go to the office or warehouse to get a quote in person. A face-to-face interaction will help you judge the company. If this is not possible, at least use Google Street View to get a look at the company’s address.
- Serious businesses will readily offer several options for service, repair or new doors.
All reputable garage door companies will provide you with all the information you need. You can start your research by contacting us at 978-741-1600 anytime. You can check reviews from our past clients or ask any questions that you want. It would also be our pleasure to email you a detailed quotation.